DIY Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments.
We had all kinds of holiday traditions growing up and the nostalgia surrounding this time of year always brings me back to my childhood.
The smells of Christmas are one of those things that helps ring in the season, from fresh evergreen to cinnamon spices. We used to love making these classic Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments when we were little and we’d use them to adorn our tree or to add atop a gift package for a little extra decoration.
One thing I never realized about these ornaments was just how much cinnamon you use for the recipe! It’s kind of a substitute for flour in this sense so I went with the jumbo tub of it this year so we’d have plenty on hand.
Now remember, these are not edible - just for decoration but they are a fun alternative to make with the kids as a holiday craft when you don’t have to have 8 million more Christmas cookies on-hand to snack on.
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 - 1 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 1 tbs ground cloves (if desired)
How to cook Applesauce Ornaments
- Start by lining a sheet pan with parchment paper and heating your over to 200 degrees.
- Using a mixer with a paddle attachment, or by hand, combine all ingredients. The dough should be able to form into a ball without being overly sticky. If needed add more cinnamon or applesauce for desired texture.
- Sprinkle a clean surface with cinnamon and place dough on top, followed by more cinnamon. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thick. Continue sprinkling cinnamon so that dough doesn’t stick.
- Cut dough into desired shapes and place on baking sheet. Be sure to space each shape out far enough so that they do not bake together. Use a skewer end to poke a clean hole in each cookie (to attach string for ornaments) and bake in preheated oven for about 1.5 - 2 hours.
I’d love to know if you made these when you were a child? And, if you’re making them now with your family still and keeping the tradition alive! Give us a tag at #HEIRLOOMEDHOLIDAY - love to see how yours came out.
SHOP THIS POST:
SHOP OUR ORNAMENTS :
RELATED STORIES :
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of "keeping heirlooms around for another generation." Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of "goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy" with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.