Sometimes trying out new ingredients in recipes is fun, but for Eggnog I like to stick to this simple + classic recipe. It’s so easy to make and the perfect holiday drink to serve at all of my holiday gatherings.
Eggnog takes a developed taste to enjoy the drink, but once you master this recipe it is something you will look forward to every holiday season.
I just love how pretty and wintery eggnog looks visually. Topped with foam + fresh nutmeg it really is winter in a cup. You can add in the bourbon in true Southern fashion, or leave it out and get just as much enjoyment in the non-alcoholic version thanks to the richness of the drink.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean pod – split and with the seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup dark rum or bourbon
How to cook Classic Eggnog
- Combine milk, cream, cinnamon, vanilla bean, vanilla seeds and nutmeg in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, remove pan from the heat and allow it to steep.
- Using a stand mixer or a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until combined. Thick ribbons should form when the whisk is lifted. Slowly begin whisking in the milk and continue until mixture is smooth and combined. Add rum or bourbon and stir. Refrigerate overnight, up to three days.
- Right before serving, beat egg whites, in a bowl or stand mixer, until soft peaks form. Fold mixture gently into eggnog until combined. Garnish with fresh nutmeg before serving.
I loved using one of my vintage punch bowls to serve this eggnog. It gives it such a nostalgic feeling and serves as the perfect holiday decoration all in of itself. The garnish of cinnamon sticks, a sprinkle of nutmeg and a dollop of fresh whipped cream just brings a little more joy. Let me know in the comments if you stick to classic eggnog or if you put any fun twists on your recipe.
SHOP THIS POST:
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of "keeping heirlooms around for another generation." Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of "goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy" with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.