Frozen Key Lime Pie.
If I had a top 5 list of my all-time favorite desserts I do believe this one would be at the very top. Not just any Key Lime Pie will do, I love our family recipe the best but I think that’s just the way it goes when it comes to recipes you’ve grown up enjoying through the years.
My Grandparents lived in South Florida for many years and had small key lime tree right outside their front door. We would go out and gather the teeny little key limes right off her tree and then walk across the street on the shell-filled, sandy path to the beach while she stayed at the house to mix up a Key Lime Pie
The recipe combines some of my favorite things in this life when it comes to desserts, a great graham cracker crust with just the perfect balance of spices, heavenly meringue, and what I love most about this version is that it is served straight from the freezer so it’s ultra-refreshing on a hot summer night.
And, of course, if there is one secret to making the best Key Lime Pie around you must remember that only real Key Limes will do when gathering your ingredients. The tiny little limes are the perfect tartness to balance the sweet flavors in the pie, something you can quite get from a regular grocery store lime. Juicing the teeny limes is a laborious process but well-worth it for the resulting flavor.
Frozen Key Lime Pie
- 2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 15 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp grated key lime rind
- 4 TBSP granulated sugar
How to cook Frozen Key Lime Pie
- For your graham cracker pie shell, combine all crust ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl until well mixed. Spoon and press into the bottom + sides of pie plate and set aside. Reserve approximately 1/4 cup of crumb mixture for garnish.
- For pie filling, stir together sweetened condensed milk, key lime juice, key lime rind, and egg yolks until well blended.
- In a separate large bowl, beat egg whites until almost stiff enought to hold a peak, adding sugar gradually until stiff and glossy. Fold the meringue into lime mixture.
- Spoon mixture into your pie plate on top of graham cracker crust, spreading evenly to fill pie plate. Garnish with graham cracker crumb mixture and sliced key lime.
- Freeze for at least 1-hour before serving. Enjoy!
PIN IT :
SHOP THE POST :
RELATED STORIES :
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of "keeping heirlooms around for another generation." Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of "goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy" with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.