One of our favorite things to make is a stock pile of pickled vegetables straight from the garden, and it's something everyone in our family loves (especially the kiddos!) which is always a plus.
I grew up with a simple + fresh pickled cucumbers recipe, simply white vinegar, water, sliced cucumbers, salt + pepper and ice cubes. But, I learned this recipe from our friend Wayne at WoodKith and it's my new favorite.
- 2 parts white vinegar / 1 part water
- rather thinly sliced cucumbers w/ skin on
- sliced celery
- cubed small spring onions
- sliced green tomatoes
- sliced + seeded jalapeno
- sliced radish
- onion flower + dill flower + parsley flower
- salt + pepper to taste
- ice cubes
How to cook Day Pickles
- Gather all ingredients.
- Make a brine by combining the water, vinegar, and salt and bringing them to a boil.
- Pack two clean glass pint jars with the vegetables. Add the rest of the ingredients. Pack the vegetables in tightly - you don't want them to float when you add the brine.
- Pour the hot brine over the other ingredients. The vegetables should be completely immersed in the brine. Since these refrigerator pickles will not be canned, it is not necessary to leave head space between the surface of the food and the rims of the jars.
- Fasten lids and store in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours before eating.
The "recipe" is super flexible and you can toss in whatever fresh veggies you have on hand. The secret flavor to this recipe is in the herbs, and the most important part to either recipe (in my opinion) is the ice cubes to make the veggies super crisp and crunchy.
If you know me by now you know my "recipes" are just that but this one truly is trial and error to your personal taste, and to whatever you have in your garden at the moment. For example, I don't love spicy so I don't eat the jalapeno but I do still include it because it adds a great flavor and subtle kick to the batch.
Love to know your best pickling tips, and also what else you love to include in your batch.
PIN IT :
SHOP THE POST :
RECENT POSTS :
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of "keeping heirlooms around for another generation." Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of "goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy" with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.