Both cornbread and dressing (or stuffing) are at home on the Thanksgiving table - and they're even better together. This recipe is one of my favorites this time of year, because combines two of the best parts of the Thanksgiving meal. Plus, it's so delicious the next day (if you don't eat it all the day-of!)
I teamed up again with the fine folks at Dixie Lily for this recipe, and we couldn't have been happier with how wonderfully their corn meal added to the flavor and consistency of the stuffing.
- 1 ½ cups of Buttermilk
- ¼ cup melted shortening or vegetable oil
- 2 cups Dixie Lily Self-Rising Corn Meal
- 1 Large onion
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup butter
- 3 cups of chicken broth, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 tsp sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to cook Cornbread Dressing
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together buttermilk, eggs, shortening/vegetable oil and corn meal. Pour into a lightly greased 9-inch cast iron pan or a 9-inch baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Before using, crumble into small pieces.
- Heat butter over medium heat in a large pan. Add celery and onion and cook until soft.
- Add sage, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper to onion mixture.
- In a large bowl, pour in crumbled cornbread.
- Whisk together milk and eggs and add to bowl. Stir in cups of chicken broth.
- Stir in onion mixture. Mixture should be very moist. Add more broth if necessary.
- Transfer to a greased baking dish. Cut butter into small slivers and scatter on top of dressing. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until it turns light brown on top
We partnered with Dixie Lily for this post however all thoughts + options are my own and we only partner with brands + products we truly use and love.
SHOP THE POST :
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of "keeping heirlooms around for another generation." Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of "goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy" with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.