There are two kinds of people out there - ones that love sweet chicken salad, and ones that love savory. I am 100% team savory and finding the perfect, basic chicken salad is one of the best skills you can learn.
From there you can always take it and doctor it up or try a few variations, but this is my go-to staple when making chicken salad. As our Southern Kitchen Bucket List continues, I'm sharing my best recipe that includes fresh tarragon, toasted almond slivers and a bright touch of lemon.
I'm one of those that doesn't like my "salads" (read : egg, potato, chicken, pasta) too goopy, so the perfect ration of chicken to mayo is essential. I always use Dukes in my kitchen because it has that great tang to it, and for this recipe in particular I use a bit of sour cream to amp up that flavor even more giving it the best base for a savory recipe.
I also love a good chicken salad salad, you know, on a bed of lettuce instead of a big hearty loaf of bread. I think the heaviness of the chicken is usually enough for this lunchtime recipe, so getting my greens in this way is easy peasy.
Here I dressed a simple mixed super greens blend with my favorite go-to dressing, Garlic Express, which is really just a hefty dose of garlic and a good amount of apple cider vinegar. It's such a wonderful, healthy dressing and tastes just as good as homemade (which I never say about a pre-made dressing) - a staple in our house that even the kids love!
Toasting the slivered almonds for just a minute gives them a rich, nutty flavor and amps up the crunch against the texture of the chicken salad. And a lot of freshly cracked pepper with a hearty splash of fresh lemon juice helps to balance the mayo / sour cream base. I love the flavor of tarragon and always have some growing in my herb garden, but you could certainly sub in your favorite, like thyme or chives.
Savory Chicken Salad
- 4 qty boneless, skinless, organic chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup of Dukes mayonnaise
- 2 TBSP of sour cream
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Bunch of fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/4 cup of slivered almonds
- Cracked pepper + kosher salt to taste
How to cook Savory Chicken Salad
- Fill a large pot with water, salt, and bring to a boil. Insert chicken breasts and allow to cook for approximately 15-20 minutes until fully cooked and no longer pink. Remove and pat dry, allowing them to cool completely in the refrigerator.
- In a small dry skillet, toast slivered almonds tossing constantly for approximately 1 minute, just long enough to give them a slightly brown color. Transfer into a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, take chicken breasts and cut into chunks approximately 1/2 an inch and set aside in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, combine mayo and sour cream, stirring to together to blend. Stir in fresh lemon and tarragon leaves.
- Add creamy mixture to cubed chicken, slowly folding it into the chicken in batches to allow you to get your preferred consistency. Once the texture is to your liking, add toasted almonds and salt and pepper to taste.
- Set savory chicken salad atop a bed of freshly dressed lettuce greens or enjoy as a sandwich between two pieces of lightly toasted, hearty wheat bread.
Love to know if you're team "sweet" or "savory" and what other ways you like to doctor up your own chicken salad! #HEIRLOOMED
SHOP THE POST :
RELATED STORIES :
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of "keeping heirlooms around for another generation." Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of "goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy" with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.