Here in the South we are known for our "salads" when entertaining. Egg salad, tuna salad, potato salad and beyond. These mayo-filled bowls of mush are often associated with picnics and ladies luncheons alike, but I'm here to tell you that not all of us grew up on these varieties.
Though I love a good dish with mayo, this chunky version of potato salad is the perfect blend of tang, mustard a whole lot of herbs makes it so full of flavor and a gorgeous presentation to boot.
This is one of those recipes where you can substitute 'til your hearts desire. Try a different kind of mustard or variation of vinegar, or toss in just about whatever fresh herbs you have growing at the moment.
The key to me is going heavy on the herbs, super chunky on the potatoes for a rustic, hearty dish and adding a tad more mustard than you're used to. This one gets better the longer it sits too so it's perfect when stored in the refrigerator and served the next day too.
- 3 lbs Honey Gold Potatoes, boiled and halved
- 3 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 4 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh green onions
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 1 bunch flat leaf Italian parsley
- 3-4 whole brown eggs, soft boiled
- kosher salt + cracked pepper to taste
How to cook Potato Salad
- In a large saucepan, salt and boil potatoes until tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a small saucepan, salt and boil eggs until soft boiled. Drain and set aside in ice water bath to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard and mustard seed, gradually adding in olive oil until emulsified. Halve the cooled potatoes and add to the vinaigrette and toss.
- Rough chop herbs (parsley, dill and green onions) and toss into potato mixture.
- Halve or rough chop eggs for garnish. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
SHOP THE POST:
RELATED STORIES :
PIN IT :
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of "keeping heirlooms around for another generation." Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of "goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy" with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.