This homemade cast iron skillet bread is the perfect recipe to keep you warm and cozy.
I am always looking for ways to incorporate fresh herbs from my garden into my cooking, and this recipe for rosemary bread is one of my favorites. Homemade bread really isn’t all that hard to make and it’s something I’ve wanted to try tackling for some time now. It feels very Appalachian to me and there is just nothing more beautiful than a fresh-baked loaf of bread. I just love the combination of the garden-fresh rosemary with olive oil and sea salt, paired with homemade butter it can’t be beat. The bread bakes up so beautifully in the vintage cast iron skillet I got recently from my local cast iron expert, John.
There is something especially nostalgic about cooking in a cast iron pan, especially one with a story. The cast iron crisps up the outside of the bread just perfectly, leaving the exterior a gorgeous golden-brown, and the inside airy and fluffy.
WATCH THE VIDEO :
Cast Iron Skillet Rosemary Bread
- 1 package (about 2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- 4 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- olive oil
How to cook Cast Iron Skillet Rosemary Bread
- Start by combing yeast and warm water in a large mixing bowl. Add in 1 cup of flour and salt and use a wooden spoon to mix until combined. Stir in the rest of the flour (about 1 cup at a time) until it is completely mixed. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Next, lightly oil the bottom of a 10”-12” skillet. Sprinkle the dough with flour and cover hands as well. Avoid punching down the dough, and shape it into a disk – it will be sticky. Place dough into a skillet and cover loosely with a tea towel. Allow the dough to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat over to 400 degrees. Drizzle a little more olive oil over the top of the bread and cut an X shape into the dough. Fill this X with rosemary leaves and salt. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the top of the bread is a deep brown color.
To shop our full full collection vintage cast iron click here.
SHOP THIS POST:
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of "keeping heirlooms around for another generation." Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of "goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy" with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.