This simple, but delicious sandwich is a summer staple that you will want to eat again and again. Three simple ingredients - bacon, lettuce and tomato - but yet so elevated and full of flavor. We used homemade mayo and that helped really make it the best sandwich ever.
This time of year there is always an abundance of beautiful summer tomatoes in my garden, and one of my favorite things to do with them is to make a BLT. To me, the perfect BLT has to have the perfect tomato, it’s the hero of the sandwich.
I start the assembly process by sprinkling my garden-ripe tomato slices with sea salt and cracked black pepper and placing them on top of lightly toasted bread that has been slathered with my homemade mayo. I was skeptical about this one, but it was totally worth it. If you’re not up for the challenge then I always recommend Dukes Mayo, just a personal preference but it’s a Southern staple and full of tang which I love.
I add crispy bacon (I use turkey bacon but the rest of my family and everyone everywhere else, prefers regular) and a handful of peppery arugula to take it to the next level.
- 1 pound good-quality bacon
- 3 large beefsteak or heirloom tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup of homemade mayo
- 8 pieces of good-quality white bread
How to cook BLT
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place the bacon strips in a single layer on a foil-lined sheet tray. Bake the bacon until just crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle the tomato slices with salt and pepper and transfer to a paper towel to drain.
- Toast slices of bread and set aside until ready to assemble sandwiches
- When the bacon is ready, transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- To assemble, spread a thick layer of mayonnaise on the bread, then layer the tomatoes, bacon, and arugula and top with remaining slices of bread. Slice the sandwich in half or in triangles and serve. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this staple while the tomatoes are still perfect and ripe. I’d love to know your favorite ways to use tomatoes in the summer when they are just at their peak. Let me know in the comments below.
PIN IT :
SHOP THE POST :
RELATED POSTS :
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of "keeping heirlooms around for another generation." Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of "goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy" with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.