If there was one “cookie” that was a must in our holiday assortment for Santa it was most definitely the Buckeye.
It’s kind of like the homemade version of a Reece’s Peanut Butter Cup and in true made-from-scratch fashion, a thousand times better. Sharing this classic recipe for you and I’d just love to know if this is a must-make in your home for the holidays too?
- 1/2 cups peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter (at room temp)
- 3 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 8 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 tbs vegetable shortening
How to cook Holiday Buckeyes
- Start by mixing peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar in a large bowl. Once ingebiets are well mixed begin kneading dough with your hands. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and place tablespoon sized balls along the pan. Place this tray in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Combine chocolate chips and shortening in a bowl. Microwave mixture in 30 second intervals until it is melted. Stir so that mixture is smooth and fully combined. Remove the tray from the refrigerator and use a toothpick to dip them into chocolate mixture. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and they are ready to serve.
This is the original recipe card from my Grandmother’s collection for “Ohio-State Buckeyes.” She actually lived in Michigan so I would imagine they are more commonly referred to as this up that way than they are down here in the South - anyone? My very favorite thing about the card is her note at the bottom “Not especially good - too sweet” which had us laughing and laughing in the studio since we all love them so. But in true Grandma fashion, she told it like it was and wasn’t a fan of things that were super sweet so this one made me have quite a smile.
Hope you enjoy this classic!
PIN IT :
SHOP THIS POST:
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of "keeping heirlooms around for another generation." Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of "goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy" with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.