If you're having house guests this holiday then this recipe is for you. It comes from my Aunt Jo and was a tradition for her to make on holiday mornings like Thanksgiving or Christmas. It's so perfect for guests because you can make it ahead of time, since it has to refrigerate overnight. Really all you’re doing the morning-of is popping it in the oven -- perfect for the hustle + bustle of the holiday
Brie and Sausage Casserole
- 1 8oz round brie
- 1lb ground hot pork sausage
- 6 bread slices
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 7 large eggs - divided
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups fat free milk
- 1 tsp dried rubbed sage
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- Garnish: chopped green onions
How to cook Brie and Sausage Casserole
- First, trim and discard rind on brie. Cut cheese into cubes – set aside.
- Cook sausage until crumbled & no longer pink. Drain.
- Cut crusts from bread and place crusts evenly in lightly greased 13x9 baking dish. Layer evenly with bread slices, sausage, brie and grated parmesan.
- Whisk together 5 eggs, 2 cups whipping cream & next 4 ingredients. Pour evenly over cheeses. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Whisk together 2 eggs and 1 cup whipping cream. Pour evenly over chilled mixture.
- Bake 350 for 50 minutes or until set. enjoy!
My Aunt Jo would always use Bradleys Country Sausage from my hometown of Tallahassee, FL but since I’m not much of a meat eater I alter it to turkey sausage or just leave it out completely. I also like to use a super hearty, crusty bread that’s been left out a day. I just love the way the brie and sage compliment each other here. This recipe is packed full full of flavor and such an easy and filling breakfast!
SHOP THE POST :
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of "keeping heirlooms around for another generation." Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of "goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy" with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.