There is just something truly warming about soup this time of year. I was never one to make soup until I learned how truly quick + easy it can be. And, surprisingly for me, it's something the kids just love too - a total win/win especially when they get their daily vegetables in without even knowing it.
I teamed up with the fun folks at Pints and Plates for this recipe, and just like you'd pair a certain food with a fine wine, they are a wonderful resource when it comes to suggesting beer pairs for certain flavor profiles and recipes.
I knew I wanted to go with something warm + hearty since it's fall and I had just been to the pumpkin patch up in the mountains filled with every variety of gourd and squash so it wasn't hard to land on this yummy recipe for Butternut Squash Bisque.
Butternut Squash Bisque
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- ¾ cup diced carrots
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup heavy cream (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ground nutmeg to taste
How to cook Butternut Squash Bisque
- Heat oil and melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir onion into oil and butter and cook until tender.
- Mix carrots and squash into the pot. Pour in vegetable stock and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the soup mixture until smooth. Return to pot and stir in heavy cream. Place pot back on stove and heat through, but do not boil. Serve warm with a dash of nutmeg.
- Note: Crème fraîche and thyme make great garnishes as well.
Now as for beer pairing, they recommend a Bohemian Pilsner, like Pilsner Urquell and here's why: "The honey-like malt notes and the peppery snap in the hops of Pilsner Urquell® match the sweet, nutty flavor of the squash." I love the concept of these pairings and know you will love trying out the new recommendations too.
Take a peek for yourself at some of the pairings, I'd love to know what you'd try first!
SHOP THE POST :
RELATED STORIES :
* This is a sponsored post by PintsandPlates.com however my opinions and content are all my authentic + opinions are my own.
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of "keeping heirlooms around for another generation." Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of "goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy" with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.